Frequently Asked Questions
We are skilled in many techniques, specializing in a combination of deep tissue, Swedish, Thai, and sportsmassage. We offer the following:
- Deep Tissue: Targets the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue. It is used to relieve chronically tight or painful muscles, repetitive strain, postural problems, or to aid in recovery from injury.
- Sportsmassage: Specifically designed for those involved in physical activity, and aimed at treating injury, stretching, and enhancing athletic performance.
- Swedish: Smooth strokes, kneading, and circular movements on superficial layers of muscle to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Prenatal: Reduces swelling, increases circulation, and promotes relaxation. Special pregnancy pad or pillow is used for optimal comfort.
- Chair: Chair massage focuses on the neck, back, and arms.
- Hot Stone: This ancient healing massage using acupressure points and hot stones to relax, revitalize, and detoxify sore muscles.
- Acupressure/Trigger Point: Involves gradual application of varying pressure to painful tissue until symptoms decrease or the muscle relaxes.
- Reflexology: Applied pressure to specific areas of the feet or hands that correlate to various body parts and organs for improved circulation and removal of toxins throughout the body.
- Cross-fiber: Disrupts and breaks down existing and forming adhesions in muscles, tendons and ligaments using compression and motion.
Our therapists are certified and licensed in the state of California and are continually learning new skills in the ever-growing field of massage and bodywork.
Therapeutic massage affects the structure and function of the body, often focusing on relief of a particular condition. Relaxation massage usually involves soothing strokes to ease the nervous system and provide an overall sense of calm.
Here at Massage Extraordinaire, we have a diverse clientele: professional athletes, busy executives, tradespeople, medical professionals, stay-at-home moms … you name it! Many of our clients are servicemen and woman stationed in San Diego and serving in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines.
- Relieves neck and back pain, headache pain
- Relieves discomfort and low back pain during pregnancy
- Reduces stress, athletic Injury and recovery time, spasms and cramping, and post surgery scar tissue and edema
- Stimulates flow of lymph (the body’s natural defense system) and endorphins
- Increases circulation, joint flexibility and range of motion
- Relaxes injured or overused muscles, mind and body
Massage therapists, with their knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and pathology, are some of the best trained people to deal with myofascial and musculoskeletal pain syndromes. They spend many hours physically palpating and manipulating the muscles and soft tissue of the body. Whether it is lower back pain, arthritis, repetitive stress from computer use, or fibromyalgia, massage may be able to relieve the associated pain. In some cases, massage is the most effective tool to relieve symptoms.
One of the main causes of high blood pressure is stress. Massage relaxes the body and calms the nerves, relieving stress, and thus can benefit those with high blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure and are on medication to control it, please be sure to inform your therapist.
Frequency will depend on your needs, and whether you are trying to relieve a particular condition, relax and de-stress, or simply maintain good health. Your therapist can customize a treatment plan for your needs. We suggest at least one to two times a month.
Contraindications to massage include deep vein thrombosis, bleeding disorders, damaged blood vessels, skin inflammation, open wounds, infectious disease, acute pain, weakened bones from cancer, osteoporosis, or fractures, fever, or certain other health issues. In such cases, advice from a doctor is advised.
It is always best to schedule an appointment in advance; however, we will always do our best to accommodate your needs. The call center is 619-295-3516. Appointments at San Diego Tennis and Racquet Club can be made by calling 619-275-3270. A valid credit card is required to schedule an appointment. Appointments will be confirmed one day prior to your scheduled date. Payment is expected at the time of service. We accept most credit cards and cash.
If you need to cancel or reschedule, a minimum of four hours notice is required; otherwise a $30 fee will be charged to your credit card or club membership.
A treat for yourself or someone special, gift certificates are available for all services, and may be charged by phone with a valid credit card or purchased in person with credit card or cash. Our gift certificates are not refundable, but may be transferred to another person.
Gratuity is much appreciated and can be included with payment, or given directly to the therapist. We accept credit card, venmo, or cash.
If you are being referred by a medical professional, please bring your treatment instructions. On your first visit, please arrive at least 10 minutes early so you can fill out a brief form to inform us about your health. With this information, we can better assess your needs and provide you with the best treatment.
Yes, therapeutic massage can be scheduled outside the health clubs by calling 619-295-3516. Outcall hours are 9am–9pm. All massages scheduled before 11am must be arranged by 6pm of the previous day.
Our prices and session lengths are posted on the Rates page.
For most massages, clients undress completely, shower, and then put on a robe or towel. During the massage you will be draped with a sheet or towel. We feel you will receive the greatest benefit and increased blood flow through direct manipulation on the skin; however, if you prefer to wear a swimsuit or loose clothing, that is fine. Our intent is for you to be truly relaxed and never embarrassed or uncomfortable.
We can provide on-site services for your organization or at your event. Contact us at 619-295-3516 to make arrangements. We are frequently hired to do chair massages for conventions. For special events such as bridal parties, family reunions, or friendship get-togethers, special rates are available for three or more clients (same-day services).
At San Diego Tennis and Racquet Club, we provide bottled water, robes, and towels. All guests have use of the steamroom, sauna, showers, jacuzzi, and individual lockers. (Note: San Diego Tennis and Racquet Club jacuzzi is outdoors and you must wear a swimsuit.) You are responsible for your personal belongings.
We appreciate your service! Show your military ID and save 10%! (May not be used with any other offer.)