Anxiety is the worst! Everyone suffers from occasional anxiety, but anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in America according to the ADDA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America). The sad thing is that anxiety disorders are highly treatable, but less than 40% of sufferers seek help. Don’t contribute to that statistical fact!
Therapy and medications can be incredibly helpful, but don’t discount the alternative treatments that are available. Most people know that massage is know to reduce anxiety, lower blood pressure and generally give the mind and body an overall sense of wellness, but there are also some specific foods that are surprising helpful as well. Anxiety is caused in part by an imbalance of neurotransmitters. These are chemical messengers that play a role in mood regulation. Eating anxiety fighting foods can help lower the severity of anxious feelings by balancing the chemistry in your body.
- Red Wine – No more than 2 glasses a day!
- Dark Chocolate – Yay! Has more antioxidants than other kinds. Eat a small chunk everyday.
- Bacon! – Yum! Rich in amino acids that change the signals in your brain.
- Sweet Potatoes – Just take it easy on the brown sugar and butter.
- Turkey – Increases serotonin, which increases that happy feeling we like.
- Coffee – Whoo! Hoo! Caffeine lovers rejoice! Don’t have too much or anxiety worsens.
- Asparagus – Known for it’s ability to reduce stress & promote relaxation.
- Avocados – Packed with nutrients tied to mood like folate, B6 & potassium.
- Sauerkaraut – Fermented foods have mood boosting effects. Try kefir & pickles too.
So, the bottom line is combine regular massages and healthy foods and see if your anxiety levels don’t improve over time. If a noticeable change doesn’t happen, make an appointment with your doctor right away! Life is too short to spend one more minute suffering from a disorder that has such a high rate of treatment success. After seeking medical advice, continue to eat a diet rich with whole foods loaded with mood boosting nutrients. The longer that a healthy diet is consumed, the better the results will be seen over time. And don’t forget to schedule a massage on a regular basis. 🙂
We are located inside the beautiful San Diego Tennis and Racquet Club.