Hi! My name is Roisin Thompson. I have been a massage therapist for the past 3 years. Besides practicing massage at Massage Extraordinaire, I also am a acupuncturist. My favorite modality for muscular pain is Cupping. I use it often to accelerate recovery and ease local tension.
You may first have been exposed to cupping during the Rio Olympics when Michael Phelps used it as a medical therapy to help him win his most recent gold and silver medals! I wanted to share some more information about this ancient Chinese medical practice.
Benefits of Cupping –
- Increase in circulation by decompressing the connective tissue surrounding tight muscles
- Speeds healing and decreases recovery time by allowing fresh nutrients and oxygen into the muscle and carrying away metabolic waste
- Speeds recovery from athletic events
- Reduces chronic pain
- Relieves local tension
- Cups can be left in static locations or can be slid over the skin using “moving cupping”
- Cups are left on one location for up to 10 minutes
- Cupping can be done as part of a massage session or as an independent treatment. An independent treatment session will take 30 minutes, including intake.
- Treatments are personalized to the patient, including:
- Type of cups
- Number of cups
- Amount of suction
- Whether the cups are moved
- I use both glass cups and the more modern plastic cups with an air pump, depending on the patient’s needs
- Treatment may result in temporary “spots” where the cups were placed. These “spots” are not tender and will fade in 3 – 7 days.
|“Spots” from Cupping|
If you have any questions about Cupping or Acupuncture,
please call and ask for Roisin!
4848 Tecolote Road
San Diego, CA. 92110